“Don’t Deport the Tamale Lady!”
The Tamale Lady, as many news media outlets are dubbing Juana Reyes, is a latin@ street vendor who now faces deportation for selling food right outside a Walmart in Sacramento, California.
NOTE: Now, before moving on with this story, it is important that we point out how problematic it is to reference un@ inmigrante by her occupation. In a country that has a long history of commodifying immigrants of color, it isn’t exactly the most politically correct thing to call a hard-working mother simply “Tamale Lady.” Juana Reyes has a name; let’s use it, shall we?
Juana Reyes does what many immigrants in this country do best: hustle hard! As a mother of two, and feeling the pressures of everyday life, she did what she had to do and posted up in front of a Walmart to sell Tamales a’la chicken con quesito. Actually, sounds to me like her efforts belong more on MexicanFoodPorn’s blog than they do on a criminal report. Pero, I digress.
One Thursday morning, Juana was told by local authorities that she could no longer sell food in front of the Walmart. Which was odd for her to hear since she had been selling tamales in that same spot for quite sometime. Up until then, no one had mentioned that this was a problem. Many of Walmart employees would even stop on their break or after work to enjoy some of her street delicacies.
Juana complied and moved to different location. However. the problem now was that Tamales weren’t selling in the new area. Juana was faced with making a decision between A. staying in this new location and not making enough money (money that she needed for rent, among other things) or B. returning to her previous area and risk getting in trouble. Of course, Juana did what any mother in her position would do and returned to her previous location.
Unfortunately, when Juana returned, she was almost immediately arrested. And not only was she handcuffed, but her two children, who were with her at the time, were taken by Child Protective Services. The folks over NEWSREVIEW even mention that the police officer told Juana’s 10 year old son:
“They’re going to send your mom to Mexico. And you’ll never see her again.”
Oh, what great people we have patrolling the streets of Sacramento. Not only is this deputy making the racist assumption that Juana Reyes is Mexican, but he stoops so low as to taunt a little boy who at this point is probably already scared. (PS. If you aren’t outraged by now, you have problems, son.)
Let’s make this clear: Reyes was arrested because she was suspected of being undocumented. Selling food without proper permits is a minor offense. Trespassing —what she was officially arrested for—usually does not involve handcuffs, CPS, and being held for a couple of weeks w/o a lawyer. CNN contributer Ruben Navarrette Jr. mentions:
Some will insist that Reyes is actually being punished for coming into the United States illegally. But this woman only came to the attention of federal authorities because local law enforcement officers arrested her for an infraction that would have normally resulted in a slap on the wrist. And the reason that she was arrested was because she was selling tamales.
Juana’s story is one that the displays the ills of a racist society. One where a brown women selling food in attempts to put a roof over her children’s heads is not only frowned upon but criminalized. Simply put, that’s complete bullshit!
Deporting the tamale lady (Newsreview)—smh at Juana being referred to as “tamale lady”SMFH.
no one is safe
Posted on Monday, 6 August
Reblogged from: deadliestsnatch
Posted by: frijoliz
- dirtcrass reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- doctorduke reblogged this from sinidentidades
- nuestrasenoradeputazos reblogged this from sinidentidades
- beyre-decameron reblogged this from sinidentidades
- gracefree reblogged this from sinidentidades
- dysperdis reblogged this from sinidentidades
- resistrebelreclaim reblogged this from sinidentidades
- jopara reblogged this from sinidentidades
- ravga likes this
- mzmew likes this
- ladrill0 reblogged this from sinidentidades
- ladrill0 likes this
- thisisqpocprivilege likes this
- sinidentidades reblogged this from neoliberalismkills
- ellissullivan reblogged this from hajinmon
- slayer-of-pendejos reblogged this from hajinmon
- shiningtonbo reblogged this from hajinmon
- hajinmon reblogged this from elusive-illusions
- hajinmon likes this
- elusive-illusions reblogged this from schakall
- motorcyclegrl reblogged this from momingtonoregano
- poopitypooppooppoopers reblogged this from ihavenosnoutyetimustwhinny
- nerdlover510 reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- elusive-illusions likes this
- rajputa likes this
- leonawriter reblogged this from em-exceeds-change-zearu
- mamadasnshit reblogged this from samothinks
- loki-dtothe-nthpower likes this
- momingtonoregano reblogged this from chocolatemoosey
- jettgoesvroom reblogged this from uglyisbeauty
- philup63 likes this
- philup63 reblogged this from samothinks
- van-damme reblogged this from platanos-fritos
- psychopathicprincess reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz and added:
- onigirizen likes this
- chocolatemoosey reblogged this from cowmunist
- chocolatemoosey likes this
- joeychaparro reblogged this from sgv-626
- ayoomariaakillsz likes this
- derangedmonarch reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz
- sgv-626 reblogged this from reinadeariza
- dgafimwaffles reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz and added:
- ishotudown reblogged this from ihavenosnoutyetimustwhinny
- tortolita likes this
- ankoku37 reblogged this from ihavenosnoutyetimustwhinny
- samothinks reblogged this from a-toda-madre
- redheadrising likes this
- illfiguresomethingoutsoon reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz
- nonexistentair reblogged this from schakall